Re: Question regarding heater on '69 Spitfires

To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Question regarding heater on '69 Spitfires
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:33:08 -0500 ()

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 SJagGo@aol.com wrote:

> 69 heater controls are not like the Mk IV's and 1500's.  There is a knob on
> the dash you pull for heat, and another knob for the fan motor.  There are
> also little handles on spring-loaded doors on the heater box which permits
> hot air into the cabin, otherwise it all goes to the dash windshield vents.
> Bill B

Bill, that is true in markets other than the US. But the 1969 "Federal"
Spitfire did have the later-style "slider" heat controls and two-speed
blower motor. Note that the Mk.3 temp. control slider function is reversed
from the later Mk.IV and 1500.

As for why the eBay car doesn't have these, several possibilities come to
mind:
 1. It's really a '68 with a different (Mk.1 GT6, perhaps) dashboard, or
 2. It's really a '69 with a different (Mk.1 GT6, perhaps) dashboard, and
     some creative restructuring of the heater controls.
 3. It's really a '69 built for other than a North American market, and
     someone added a different (see above) dashboard.

Yes, it's also possible that it was delivered new without a heater, but
that was somewhat rare in other than truly "tropical" markets (such as
Puerto Rico or Hawaii).

--Andy