Urgent advice needed on purchase of Mk3

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Urgent advice needed on purchase of Mk3
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:31:49 -0800
Hi everyone,

I posted a "wanted" message the other day for a '67-'68 MkIII.  I'm about to
purchase (hopefully) what appears to be a beautifully restored '69 MkIII for
top dollar.  It has undergone an extensive frame-off restoration and
includes a reupholstered factory hardtop.  The paint is not the original
signal red, but it's a beautiful bright red nonetheless.  I plan on driving
the car two or three times a month, maintaining it meticulously and perhaps
displaying it in local car shows.  Since I'm paying top dollar, I want to be
certain that the engine is original to the vehicle.

According to the current owner, the 1296cc powerplant has not been rebuilt
while in his care, but runs excellent (I'm having a mechanic confirm that
for me this weekend).  The owner has had the transmission and rear-end
professionally rebuilt, though.  Before he purchased the Spitfire 3 years
ago, its history is undocumented and mileage can't be confirmed as original,
though the odometer indicates 69k.  My hunch is that if the engine is indeed
original, there might be a fair chance that the mileage is accurate. But who
knows?  Since the mileage can't be confirmed, does that effect the value of
a car that's been restored this way?

What's the quickest, easiest way for me to check on the lineage of the car?
I have requested that the current owner provide me with the engine and
chassis number.

As for showing purposes, will I lose points for not having the precise
original factory color?   Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jeff