Rear end noise??

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear end noise??
From: "N.A. Campiglia III" <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:05:50 -0600
To bring you all up to speed,
The Wife and I spent Friday and today finishing the installation of the rear
end, tranny, and drive shaft into her '67 MKIII.  The tranny was from a
donor '72 and the rear is original, we just removed it to change out the
seals on it.  The drive shaft came from a '74 donor and we installed new
U-joints before install.  I had previously swapped the rear spring with a
later swing type.

We got it all together and saddled up for the test drive this afternoon (low
80's), got down the road and heard the nastiest noise coming from the rear
end.  It sounded as if the shaft was rubbing on something right at the rear
U-join, so we turned around and up it went.  Everything seemed to clear fine
and there was no rubbing on the shaft.

When I was replacing the seals on the rear I removed the front pinion nut I
torqued it to specs when installing, could this be the problem??  I also had
some trouble sticking the tranny so I removed the shaft for some clearance,
I took the rear of the shaft off (the small steel straps) but I replaced it
exactly like it was.  Could this be a problem??

This Spit will be going into storage while Im in Saudi for the next 3 months
but when I get back I will tackle it hard.

Thanks to all in advance and sorry I was so long winded. (Too many homebrews
I think)

Nick
N.A. Campiglia III
Abilene, TX