1296 Oil Pressure

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 1296 Oil Pressure
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:00:26 -0500
On Sunday, Nov. 21, Fred Thomas wrote:

># 1 = I have the rocker arm oiler, which I have never used until this year =
>and with everything in the engine almost brand new, (compression 145, 145,
>145, 155) could this cause oil blow-by. Would you recommend taking it off,
>the oil pressure is the same as always 75 hot, 45/50 idle.

Fred was talking about a TR3A here, but I've been wondering about the oil
pressure in my 71 Spit:
75 Cold, 40-50 hot/highway speeds, 20 idle, with 20W-50 Castrol or Valvoline
VR-1. Good, Average, Bad? History of car unknown prior to my acquiring in 1996.
Engine seems good with high compression, no noises, no smoke. I seem to remember
a rule of thumb of 10psi/1000rpm, but I may be loopy.

Bob Waid
71 Spitfire FK4081L
In storage since 10/16/99, missing one of the nicest MN autumns on record!!