Re: Seized Trunion Bolts!

To: gfaber@fast.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seized Trunion Bolts!
From: ScottBarr8@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:50:16 EST
In a message dated 11/10/99 12:34:58 AM Central Standard Time,
gfaber@fast.net writes:

<< Im upgrading my front suspension with new urethane bushings and shocks
 and found my trunions were really sloppy, so I removed  the lower nut to
 the trunion and the bolt spins freely, but all the pounding in the world
 won't drive that sucker out, Im figuring its froze to the sleeve, any
 tips on getting it out besides drilling it out? I figure that's my last
 option >>

Welcome to the List, Gerry.  I'm sure you'll find lots of good information
here!

I second Bill's suggestion.  I've had the same problem and discovered that it
was indeed the sleeve having frozen to the bolt.  I tried the repeated
soakings in PB Blaster over many days and the banging with ever larger
hammers (at last resorting to the one I refer to as "The Murder Weapon"), all
to no avail.

I've gone two routes.  First, Bill's suggestion, which works better than you
might think and FAR quicker than drilling in from the ends.  And second, when
I was replacing the trunnions anyway, we used the flame wrench and cut away
the trunnion, sleeve, bolt and all.  Be very careful to shield the A-arm and
shock mount, of course  (I've used the flame technique on Spridgets as well,
but no need to be careful there, as it's merely an MG  ;-)  ).  Beware of the
fumes, though;  I've been told many times that the fumes created when cutting
through brass are nasty and can give you something called the "brass chills",
whatever that is.

And Never-Sieze on reassembly is your best friend.

Hope this helps,

Scott Barr
72 GT6