progress on Tiny Tim

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>,
Subject: progress on Tiny Tim
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 17:31:10 -0700
Andy (and all)
I got the engine and tranny out of Tiny Tim today.  I took off the
aluminum bell housing and compared the weight to a cast iron one.  The
alloy one weighs 7 pounds vs. 21 for the cast iron one.

I also pulled apart the Mk3 engine that I am going to use for Tiny Tim's
power.
It was interesting what I found.  All the pistons and crank journals
were standard suggesting that the engine has never been touched.  The
cylinders look very good and there is no sign of any valve wear.

However, one of the 4 pistons is different from the other three.  All
are stanpart branded but the odd one has some holes on either side of
the wrist pins that go into the oil ring groove.  The others are solid.
Makes one wonder!

I compared the head with a 1500 head I have and noticed that it has a
much smaller combustion chamber than the 1500.  Anybody know if the
valves are the same size?  If all else is equal, I'll use three 1296
head as it will be higher compression.

Regards,
Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer