RE: looking for a bell housing

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: RE: looking for a bell housing
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:05:37 -0500
Joe,

I've seen trannies with both a thin casting and a thick casting alloy bell
housing recently, and jotted down some serial #s:

thin    FC 38909
thick   KC 5204

Both were unassociated with any cars so I can't swear to the exact
lineage...  although it wouldn't surprise me if the alloy housings slotted
to go on the Heralds might not have slipped onto a Spitfire or two, either
as an intentional performance upgrade or a "I need a tranny mate, hand me
that one over there.  Wot, it's for a Herald?  Sod it, this Spitfire is
going out now".  (my apologies to anyone of English extraction!  :-)

I did pick up a thin casting housing from a gent in NZ....  it's destined
for my '73 1500.

cheers,

Jim