a couple of questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: a couple of questions
From: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:10:35 -0400
Hi everybody,

I've been lurking for the last few months, but I need to get back into the
fray now.  This past summer I rebuilt my spare engine for autocrossing and
I've got about 3000 miles on it now.  So here's the questions, 1) My car
has always seemed to run a little lean even when the carb adjusted fully
rich, the problem seems to stem from the breather tube from the valve cover
allowing or forcing too much air into the carb.  It has a restrictor where
the hose meets the carb with about a 1/8" hole in it, but I think it's
still diluting the mix too much and causing a miss, has anyone else seen
this problem?, 2)  I have a slight tap that sounds like a rocker arm tap,
but I can't be certain where it's coming from, I've adjusted the rocker
arms to .005 for a few minutes to see if I could make it go away and I can
still hear it.  My main concern is a problem in the bottom of the engine
such as a spun bearing, but I believe that this would be loud and obvious,
does anyone have any experience with that?  Thanks as always!

Glenn