RE: Need to replace slave cylinder

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Need to replace slave cylinder
From: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:43:52 -0700
I was having the same problem plus also leaking from the master cylinder.
The leaks were caused by the gaskets in both cylinders being old and
cracked.  I bought the repair kits for the master and slave cylinders and
they've worked great.  Basically it's just replacing all the rubber
gaskets....much cheaper than a whole new cylinder(s) if you don't need it.
While you've got the whole system drained you might want to think about
replacing your master cylinder seals also since you don't want it to fail in
6 months and have to take the tranny cover off and drain the system again.

As to your specific question about the alloy vs. the cast - I'm not sure.  I
can tell you that when I ordered the repair kit I didn't notice the
descriptions above, but just ordered the repair kit for the 73-80 year which
was for the cast cylinder.  The parts in the repair kit fit fine and don't
leak so that either says my cylinder was a cast cylinder or the cast and
alloy cylinders are so similar (if not identical) that the gaskets in the
repair kit for the cast also fit fine in the alloy.  Sorry that's not much
more help.

Bob
79 Spitfire