Re: Haynes Wiring Diagrams ("Control Unit"?)

To: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Haynes Wiring Diagrams ("Control Unit"?)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 22:54:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Victor B. Michael wrote:

> While we're on the topic...
> What the hell is the large circle in the diagrams containing 12 numbered
> contacts?
> This thing is just lower-left of the center of the diagram. Someone has
> mentioned in their Bentley, it's labeled as a "control unit". My latest
> guess was the main splice point (or junction) within the entire wiring
> harness.

Uh, it's a "control unit"! :-) No, really! Made by SMITHS and located up
on the firewall on the inside above the passenger side cubby box. It was
there at least in the '74s to provide the dreaded Federal
seat-belt-interlock function, which on my '74 it eventually began to do
much too well. It would virtually sneer at me until I bypassed the little....

Well, it was also on the '75s, probably to help provide similar
annoyances such as seat belt buzzer/light/timer functions. Don't know
about earlier or later cars.

--Andy