Re: Brake Rotor Suggestion

To: "Scott Hall" <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Brake Rotor Suggestion
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:38:19 +0100

>the spit rear disc brake thread came up about a year ago, I think.  someone
>(I seem to remember it was dan masters) posted that it wasn't such a hot
>idea, and I'd agree for this car.  I'm all for increased stopping any way
>you can get it, and I swapped to rear discs in my '68 mustang, but on the
>spit, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth.  you'd have to get
>the proportioning just right, or you'll end up slideways every time you
>brush the pedal.  imho, if you want better brakes, upgrade to bigger front
>rotors and austin 4-piston front calipers.  it would be easier, and on this
>car, more effective (again, imho).

I drove a Spitfire with owner modified rear discs about 2 months back. Even
the owner admitted he felt it was a waste of money as well as being a
nightmare to fit. Frankly, I wouldn't want to do an emergency stop in the
car with the set-up he had on board at the time. He was more than a bit
worried about that aspect as well. The brake pressure regulation was still
over-biased to the rear and it made that back end uncomfortably too twitchy.
Reminded me too much of over powerful airbrakes on a truck or DS Citroens
with that dinky little button on the floor. Owner told me he still hadn't
got the nerve to drive it in wet weather or on damp roads.

If I was going for a radically improved braking set-up on a normal roadcar,
Scott's proposal is the one I'd think about. It's theoretically one helluva
lot easier to achieve and saves an AWFUL lot of speculating on how to set up
the handbrake for a rear disc arrangement. As I now live in a land of "the
simpler the better" why not go for an upgrade to full GT6 spec? Shouldn't be
beyond the wit of man. Bung on a servo as well if you feel like it and
finned drums on the back if you must. Cheap, cheerful and effective - so why
"re-invent the wheel" to probably achieve the same result - if you're lucky?
It looks more original too, even if the improved retardation isn't. On a
slightly different tack, I recall that Rolls Royce maintained for quite a
long time after disc brakes were becoming 'the norm' that it's four shoe
front drum brakes were still better than state of the art front discs and
remained highly resistant to fade. This claim got substantiated more than
once in road test reports, so why create problems for yourself unless you're
some form of masochist.

jonmac