o/d tranny marking its territory

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: o/d tranny marking its territory
From: "Bowen, Patrick A" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:36:48 -0400
I am in the process of what was a engine rebuild and now is turning into a
full frame off resto (Don't you hate how that happens!!!)  I have a '79 with
a good overdrive unit (it functions anyhow)  but now that it is sitting out
of the car it is most evident (it was before as well, just better hidden)
that the tranny and o/d leak like a sieve.  There does not seem to be any
one particular point of leakage, just all over.  Any recommendations on what
I need to do to solve this?  Also should the drain bolt go the whole way in,
I have never been able to get it all the way, assuming it didn't go all the
way, or that the steel particles attracted by the magnetic plug are clogging
the threads.  Any help?  Thanks

Patrick Bowen