Re: Anoraks and Trainspotters

To: "Spitfires List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Anoraks and Trainspotters
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:33:22 +0100

>>Why do you assume that the older enthusiasts are "anoraks and
>>trainspotters"?  Didn't actualy say that!
>
>Could someone explain the meaning of this to a naive American?

Doug,

It's MANY years since I did trainspotting. The term 'anorak' in the UK is
given to someone (male or female) who spends long periods waiting to see
something which most others would find boring in the extreme. Trains are one
example. Aircraft are another, especially if said spotter is armed with a
radio tuned to the RT frequency. As railway platforms and airport
observation decks are usually windy inhospitable places, an anorak is the
preferred form of clothing - especially if the surround to the hood around
one's head is trimmed in simulated rabbit's fur.

Jonmac