Clutch gremlins?

To: "'Spitfire List'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch gremlins?
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:57:45 +0100
I got in the car this morning for the usual drive to work, and found
that changing gear was much harder than it usually is.  Lot's of gears
grinding, had to really push the gear stick whichever gear I tried to
use.  So I pulled over and checked the clutch fluid level - it was fine.
 Pumped the clutch a few times - that made no visible difference to the
fluid level.  I'd only driven about 50 yards, so I thought I'd drive
back home and then get the train to work - went to drive home, and
everything was fine!

Then I thought, this could be related to the problem I had getting into
reverse yesterday.  See, yesterday morning, there were some nasty
crunching noises getting into reverse, although all the other gears were
ok.  But this had cleared up before lunch time.

Is my clutch trying to punish me for something I've done to it?  Or is
the car just trying to remind me not to take it for granted?

Dean Dashwood
'77 Spit 1500