Re: Cooling fan questions

To: Metallian6@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cooling fan questions
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 06:27:23 -0700 (PDT)
Jamie:

I don't recommend converting to the clutch fan, I
believe that conversion would be major involving
changing water pumps and the electric fan is more
efficient anyway.

Speaking of water pumps, how is yours? Are you getting
good flow? Is it noisey?

First, check your gauge. Hook up a temporary gauge and
see if it "jives" with your stock gauge. If it does,
and you don't have any leaks, I'd troubleshoot the
water pump.

And you do need a thermostat. It's removal will not
cause your car to run hot (as you already surmised)
but it is "hard" on your engine. Takes longer to warm
up, etc.

Fixing your fan to trigger automatically instead of
the manual toggle should be easy. My spit, though it
is '77, has the '79-'80 cooling system. There is a
thermo switch. Just wire your toggle through the
thermo switch to activate the fan. If it doesn't work,
replace the switch. It is worth it! If you need to
know exactly where the thermo switch is let me know
and I'll check for you.

--Rick

HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/darkside/mycar.html";>1962
> Austin-Healey