Oil pressure gauge

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pressure gauge
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 15:09:43 -0500
>Take your oil pressure sender to the auto parts store and get a "T"
>fitting with the same threads.  Then get a fitting that will allow you
>to install the sender on one side of the "T".  Then get yourself a
>mechanical oil pressure gauge and make sure the fitting that comes in
>the kit.  If not, get the proper fittings to adapt the gauge line to the
>other side of the "T".
>
>Then all you have to do is install it in the hole where the sender came
>out of and it all works fine.

Most of the cheaper oil pressure gauges seem to come with a thin plastic tube
to carry the pressure from the engine to the gauge.  This would scare me- if it
breaks
under the dash, it starts spraying oil all over your feet; if it breaks
under the hood, you will start losing oil (hopefully you will look at
the gauge before all the oil is gone...).  If I were installin one of these,
I would look into getting a copper line or braided hydraulic hose to
replace it...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit