SU Carb Question

To: spitfires-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Carb Question
From: Morgan Eric-cem014 <Eric.Morgan@motorola.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:26:47 -0500
I've got a '65 Herald with twin, 1 1/4" SU carbs installed by a previous
owner.  I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs and noticed that one of
the carb pistons has what appears to be a rubber o-ring holding a small
"ball" in the bottom of the piston (underside that contacts the carb
bridge).  The other piston just has an opening in the same location but has
no o-ring and ball.  Both pistons also have two additional ports that allow
the vacuum to reach the top side of the piston.  What's the purpose of the
O-ring and "ball", and is it required for proper operation?  If so, where
can I get replacements?

Eric

'65 Herald