RE: Dropped a valve (ouch!)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dropped a valve (ouch!)
From: "Larry Griffin" <griffin_@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 19:45:21 -0400
-----Original Message-----
Ted Schumacher wrote:
......  if the piston is broken, you have particles of aluminum all through
the engine.  these are deposited in the oil galleries and will come through
the oil system and destroy bearings, etc.   you MUST dismantle the engine
completely and have it boiled  or these particles will keep wiping out
bearings.  that is the time to
fix the thrust washers, replace cam, if needed, etc. ......

Ted's right- I wish I had such good advice about 25 years ago. I dropped a
valve on my 68 Mk3. I was extremely lucky on the cylinder walls and replaced
the piston myself. I took the head to a machine shop for repairs. The engine
lasted another 40k miles before I decided to get it rebuilt. By that time
the thrust washers were history. Good bye to original block. A proper
rebuild would have prevented that.

Good luck, John, on whatever decision you make.

Larry Griffin
griffin_@bellsouth.net
68 MK3