Re: Re; What M/C ??

To: Ken C <KenCunningham@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Re; What M/C ??
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:16:30 -0400 ()
On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Ken C wrote:

> Spitsters,
>
> It's a USA car, so I guess I gotta get a m/c and PD switch. It also appears
> that I now have a spare clutch m/c !! I'm amazed that the clutch m/c even
> worked as a brake m/c, but I guess there really is not too much difference.

Practically speaking, I believe the only difference between brake and
clutch masters on the older single-circuit system was that the brake
master had a larger reservoir. (This is because the fluid -- or "fluif"
for Joe -- level falls as the front pads wear. I guess Triumph, Girling,
et.al. figured that the original reservoir might not hold quite enough
fluid to allow for this fall in level?) Bore and piston were the same,
though.  Still earlier Heralds with drum front brakes didn't even have the
larger reservoir on the brake master.

Unless you're totally committed to a dual-master for originality, meeting
standards or supposed greater benefit (I understand and pretty much agree
with what Barry's saying about the dual-circuit system), you could go with
the larger bore and much larger reservoir master cylinder from an early
GT6. I did this on my otherwise "period" (as in 1960s modifications only)
Spitfire 4 race car and noticed quite an improvement in braking
performance with no other changes. YMMV....

--Andy