Rebuilt carb, now new problems

To: "Spit-LIST" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilt carb, now new problems
From: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:36:54 -0700

I just finished rebuilding the single Stromberg on my 76 1500.  It doesn't
leak gas anymore but the idle is fairly rough.  Seems I can't get it smooth.
Here are my questions:
1.  Turning the idle mixture screw clockwise (right side of carb), makes it
richer or leaner?
2.  Seems idle is too slow unless I screw in the cold choke setting.  What
else can I do?
3.  What position should the water choke be at?  It appears to hold it in
position but what should it be?
4.  How do I know if/when the choke is in OFF mode?
5.  Pulled a vacuum on the EGR valve and couldn't hold vacuum.  It will move
by putting my fingers in it and forcing it to move otherwise.  Is it
possible to rebuild the diaphragm or whatever has failed?  Its a requirement
to pass smog tests.
6. Anybody have a used good EGR valve to sell?
7.  Plugs were cleaned and gapped to 25.  Any other clues as to why it won't
run smooth?

Help!
Peter S