RE: Question of polarity.

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Question of polarity.
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 08:55:40 +0100
Hmm - how strange.

If I remember correctly, a Mk III should be -ve ground.  If it used to
be +ve ground, the only reason I can think of is that when the 1148
engine was put in, all the +ve ground electrics were put in with it - I
suppose that might be an almost sensible thing to do?

As for the charging problem, you have to do more than just reverse the
battery.  There are a couple of websites (none which I can remember off
the top of my head, though) which tell you exactly what you need to do
to convert from +ve to -ve.  But it sounds to me like an alternator
problem.  Maybe it wasn't converted to -ve ground correctly?  Again, I
can't remember exactly what you have to do, but there are websites that
will describe it to you (unless someone on the list comes up with a
description).  Failing that, check all the wiring.  Good luck!

Dean