RE: starting problem

To: "'Chris Pappathopoulos'" <ctpappathopo@students.wisc.edu>,
Subject: RE: starting problem
From: David Brock <davidb@ilx.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:34:20 -0400
Chris:

It sounds like the starter gear isn't staying in it's "extended" position-
the position it needs ot be in to engage the flywheel, and turn the engine.
I know that (most?) of them use centrifugal force to jump forward and
engage, and the counter spinning of the flywheel actually forces (with the
aid of a lightweight spring) the gear to return to it's starting place-
disengaged.

I would suggest that you pull your starter off, and spin it up (jumper
cables wotk well here) to see if the gear is actually jumping forward and
staying there (there's about an inch difference- a definately noticable and
measurable change)  If so, then examine the gear for wear and damage.  If
this gear is worn down enough, it will not stay engaged with the flywheel.
I don't know how easy it is to replace, but that could be a rather light
solution for you to look into.

Good Luck.

;-David