Re: Hub cap removal

To: "cecil wise" <cwise@southwind.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hub cap removal
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:28:23 -0400

> I've got a '65 Spitfire and a '62 Vitesse, both with disk wheels.  Does
> anybody have a good method for removing the hub caps without damaging
> the hub caps or wheels?  The owners manual shows a tool to remove the
> hub cap, but neither of my cars have said tool, anybody got a source for
> this or suggestions for an alternative?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cecil
> '65, '80 Spitfire
> '62 Vitesse

The tool was a hooked pry bar that also doubled as a screwdriver. Any large
screwdriver or prybar will do. If you work carefully, there is not usually
any damage to the hub cap (nave plate). The biggest problem is where the
tool makes contact with the wheel. I guess you could always slip a rubber
shim in there to protect the surface of the wheel. Or another alternative
would be to dedicate a pry bar to the task and dip it in one of those
plastic coating compounds that most parts houses and large hardware
warehouses carry.

Keith Stewart