A New Noise : Fluttering

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: A New Noise : Fluttering
From: DWARE@uk.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:57:49 +0100

Please help, on my drive in to work this morning I noticed a new noise
accompanied by what I think is a reduction in performance, it's hard to
tell really ;-)

On acceleration there is a distinct fluttering noise, a bit like a lawn
mower I suppose (no jokes please), coming from under the bonnet. After a
bit of experimenting the noise is apparent when the engine is revving
anywhere above idle. I think I also noticed a slight back fire on
deceleration (the odd pop-pop coming from behind me).

All I did at the weekend was replace the water pump, I can't believe that
could have anything to do with it. Could it be a leak in the intake, or a
problem with the carbs (twin SUs, no nasty emissions stuff either) ?

Any help would be appreciated before I start ripping it all to bits when I
get home tonight (that's if it makes it home)

David
Hampshire, England
1977 1500 Spitfire (UK spec)