Help on stering rack identification

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help on stering rack identification
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:25:49 -0700
O Gearheads who are more "cog"nisant than I on these matters:

An Elva courier racer freind of mine (what a melange of TR, MG, and "other"
were those cars!) is searching for the SLOWEST steering rack he can find
(much more precise control at the top speed of the car).  I recall somebody
illuminating the difference between GT and spit racks which I had always
assumed were identical, apparently not.  I beleive he is currently using a
Vitesse rack.

Bob is more concerned with the distance travelled by the rack for a given
steering input than the "ratios".  I know that there were TR series
conversions where only the pinion was changed, is this also the case with
spit series?  Jonmac?  Joe C?  Anybody?  I have no financial interest, yada,
but trading corporate secrets may help my GT project along as well.

Here's a freebie:  Apparently, so Bob says, the Vitesse control arms were
boxed in right from the factory.  I looked at his - and they sure looked
like a home job, but rules allow for factory interchange.  Comments?  They
sure appear more substantial in the boxed form - and the re-inforcements are
definately needed to run sticky tires.

Since this is an obscure request, please email me directly.  I will be glad
to forward whatever info I can glean from the group in a concise post once.

dave T
winipeg