Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:16:18 -0500

Okay, I've been following this thread carefully trying to find out if my
driving habits are rough on my car. Can someone please review (without
reopening debate) what seems to be the general list consensus on these issues:

1. Starting with car in neutral, clutch pedal out: good/bad/no difference?
I usually do it this way. It seems most listers think it's either a good
habit or doesn't matter.

2. Sitting at traffic lights in neutral, clutch pedal out: good/bad/no
difference? I often wait at red lights with my car in gear and the clutch
pedal to the floor. No idea what the vote is on this one.

And here's another couple questions I was wondering about:

3. Coming to a near-complete stop at a stop sign and pulling away in 2nd
gear. Good/bad/no difference? I have to admit I do this often too.

4. The only manual shift vehicles I had ever driven before getting my
Spitfire were motorcycles. My clutch habits come from that training I
guess. When I want to slow down in my Spit, the first thing I do is depress
the clutch pedal (as well as letting off the gas of course). Then I brake
and downshift. This sounds like such a dumb question, but is this the
normal procedure? If so, is it good/bad/no difference? I imagine the only
alternative is to let off the throttle and let the engine do some "braking"
before downshifting. Seems to me that would result in increased wear on the
mechanicals. Thoughts?

Eric.

-----
Eric Yates