Gearbox Probs from A Month ago

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox Probs from A Month ago
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:52:43 +0100
Hi Just to folow up the problems I had a month or so ago, I have got the box
out the car, and am building up the overdrive box using the best of the
parts from the two.

Symptoms were 1st 2nd and 3rd produced a nasty granching sound on
deceleration, and when accelerating a nasty whine on 2nd, then 3rd least
1st.  Whell as soon as I drained the oil a saw the cause.  A chewed up
layshaft thrust washer, and lots of chewed up needel bearings.  From the
looks of it the layshaft had a lot of friction, it was badly warn, and there
was a colouration like it had got very hot.

3rd had 5 broken teath.    But the main shaft, bearings and inputshaft are
perfect.

I have now rebuilt my overdrive, and the transmition, all I have to do know
is to put the gaskets on, and seal the beast up!

All I can say is overhauling an overdrive box is easy, much easer than doing
a good respray, but it is harder than an engin except for the weight.  I did
find a problem with my clutch, when I had replaced it, I didn't put pin in
the throwout leaver properly and it appers to have warn the diaphram spring
on the lower side, strange I have a spare.

Thanks to other peoples advice earleyer,

I'll now let you know how I get on.

James