I need tips on replacing the Steering Rack Bellows

To: "Spitfires (E-mail)" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: I need tips on replacing the Steering Rack Bellows
From: "Jim Dwyer" <jmdwyer@home.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:34:08 -0400
I am about to replace both steering rack bellows and I am looking for tips
to do the job properly and smoothly.

Do I have to raise the wheel to replace the bellows?
I do not have a balljoint splitter tool but a mechanic says you can hit the
lower arm sideways to release the joint, will this work?
Any ideas on how to clean up the steering gear before replacing the new
bellows?
Do I have to pump lube into the bellows once I replace them?
If so, how do you do that and what lube should I use?
Any other tips would be helpful.

Thanks

Jim Dwyer
London Ontario