[no LBC] Re: California Stop?

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [no LBC] Re: California Stop?
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 14:18:40 -0700
I've always heard of it refered to as a 'California roll',
slowing down to 2mph instead of a complete stop.

Fred Thomas wrote:

> All over N. Va. they now have cameras posted on poles, take a pictureof the
>tag
> and you are now the proud owner of a 75.00 red light ticket. The complete
>system
> cost about 100K for just on intersection, they have their money back and a
> profit in 6 to 8 months. One rather large intersection takes over 100 per day
> 75.00 X 30 = 22,500 X 6 = 135,000.00 for one light for 6 months. Not a bad
> return on your money.

They tried that around here, but it turned out to be unenforcable.
They could identify the car, but not the driver...

PS: I saw the most amazing red light running the other day. A local
mountain road (Highway 9) has a long one lane section, having slid out
over the winter. It is truely on lane, without room for two cars to
pass, and it extends around a blind corner. There is a light at either
end, which takes a long time to change.
I was a couple of cars back in a long line which had formed behind a
slow  tourist type. The tourist reached the light, which was red,
stopped and waited about a minute, and then, with the light still red,
proceeded down the road. Many people in the line of cars honked, but he
just kept going. I was moderatly disapointed that he didn't encounter
a logging truck coming the other way ;-)

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com