Replacing Electric Fuel Pump on '77 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacing Electric Fuel Pump on '77 1500
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 20:15:59 -0700 (PDT)
I decided to troubleshoot my electric fuel pump, which
is mounted in my car's trunk.

In my garage, I hooked up a pressure gauge to my Weber
DGAV Carb's fuel inlet recently and read 2.5 lbs -- a
good reading I thought. But given my car's poor
performance lately I wanted to see what was going on
during running conditions while I was on the road.
Glad I did...

I strung some line to bring the gauge around and into
the passenger seat of the car. I then started up my
spit and took her onto the local interstate. As I took
corners and accelerated my gauge fluctuated from over
3 lbs to under 1 lb, dipping to .5 at times while
revving my engine to bring my no-overdrive 4-spd spit
to 65mph. Over time at the higher RPMs, usually
several minutes, my car will suddenly loose power and
even stall-out. I think she's being starved for fuel
by a pump which can't handle the demand for fuel while
revving high.

Also, I have a regulator in my fuel line just before
the carb. Several months ago, I was having trouble
with my carb flooding at idle. I discovered fuel
pressure was 4 lbs at idle so I bought and installed a
regulator. I used it to lower idle pressure to 2.5
lbs. I thought the system was supplying 2.5 lbs all
the time. I guess I was wrong...

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement pump? A
particular brand or product? Any specifications?
pounds of pressure? gallons per hour?

Much appreciated...

--Rick