Re: Body filler

To: John Suchak <suchak@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Body filler
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 07:58:52 -0700
John,
The single DCOE because of its design necessitates a manifold that
creates uneven flow between the outer and inner cylinders.  This is not
a problem with twin Does because their ports can be centered between the
head ports and have a much more balanced port arrangement.  On the
single DCOE manifolds, the outer tubes are much longer than the inner
ones.  This caused either too much fuel to go into the inner two ports
or too little to go into the outers.

My own experience is that the inner two cylinders were washed down from
too much fuel and ultimately needed to be rehoned to establish the
proper home pattern for cylinder wall lubrication.  The end result was
the rings never properly seated.  So when I repaired the damage, I
changed over to twin SU's.  It performs well and even looks a bit more
"original".

Joe

John Suchak wrote:

> Joe Curry wrote:
> >  I only wish I could say the same for a single
> > DCOE on a Spitfire engine!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Joe
> >

> What was your experience?  (Says the man looking at the DCOE waiting to
> be mounted...)

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer