Re: 76' 1500 Ignition system

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 76' 1500 Ignition system
From: "MJ Switzer" <thistle@comteck.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 06:29:52 -0500

>The car never had 6 volts at any time, it will not operate on 6 volts, I
think
>the no running is in the points and condenser, buy a electronic ignition
and
>then your troubles are over. Everything on the car is 12 volts.

I don't want to seem rude, but are you sure?  That would clear up a lot.  My
best friend is a foreign car mechanic turned parts salesman.  I can pretty
well trust him when it comes to working on the car, although British cars
are not as well known to him as German cars are, but we are both confused.
The Haynes manual that I have for the car states that it ran a 6 volt
ingnition coil with a resistor to a distributor that had the "spark
amplifier module" on the side.  My buddy's computer at work however lists
the coil for this car as a 12 volt.  Someone has tried to wire in a
Crane/Allison Hi-intensity ignition, and did a very poor job or just never
completed the job.   The distributor on the car is a lucas, but we have no
idea which distributor it is.  The "original" coil was with the car and is a
6v coil, although there was also a 12v coil installed and the resistor
bypassed.

Thank you again,
Megan
thistle@comteck.com