Re: Windshield dating

To: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Windshield dating
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 07:41:32 -0400
Fred Griffiths wrote:

> Hi Listers,
>         I am back after a long absence.  I know no one will have missed
> me, as read more than I wrote.
>         But I have a question regarding the dating of a vehicle from the
> TRIPLEX code etched in the glass.  I forgot where I found the page on
> the net!
>         Any one point me to the right URL?
> Thanks, Fred
> --
> Fred & Wendy Griffiths
> Calgary, Canada
> mailto: griffco@cadvision.com
> http://www.cadvision.com/griffco/index.htm

Here is the body of the original note from Pat. Sorry I deleted
the last name, but I think it is Catchpole.

I hope the following will be of use to some folk.  My Triumph
experience is limited to the later Spitfires and GT6s where this info
definitely applies, but will also be valid for any Triplex glass.

Firstly, determine the year of manufacture by checking which letter in
the printed logo on the glass has a letter under it.  (You need to
know the decade as this can't be determined)

Toughened  or      Laminated
..........         ..........
1234567890         1234567890

next find the month of manufacture:
           .                                       :    .
Jan        TRIPLEX (dot over the T)        Jul     TRIPLEX

            .                                      :     .
Feb        TRIPLEX (dot over the R)        Aug     TRIPLEX

             .                                     .     :
Mar        TRIPLEX                         Sep     TRIPLEX

              .                                     .    :
Apr        TRIPLEX                         Oct     TRIPLEX

           :                                            .:
May        TRIPLEX (double dot over T)     Nov     TRIPLEX

           :.                                            :
Jun        TRIPLEX                         Dec     TRIPLEX

Thus, a Spitfire Mk IV marked

.     :
TRIPLEX
Toughened
   .

indicates that the glass was produced in September 1974 (because it
couldn't be 1964 or 1984)

I hope all these spaces and tabs come out OK on everyones mail reader!

Cheers

Pat

I think that this is also on the VTR website.

Regards,

--
Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net