Re: brake bleeding

To: "BobK" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake bleeding
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:38:01 -0700
Hi Bob and list.

My bleeding technique that has worked ofr eeons as a 1 person job is similar
to yours.  Once upon a atime I bought one of thosee thingies with the check
valve, but it caused more problem than it was worth.  So I removed it and
simply ran the line into a 12 oz coke bottle (and the fluid that came out
looked like coke!).

So long as you ALWAYS leave fluid in the bottom (ie, end of hose in liquid
for 1/2 - 3/4") all you need to do is crack the bleeder,  attach the hose,
pump until the fluiid is clear (you can get out and look with no fear of
air.  A section of tube long enough to do the job holds only about 2 "pumps"
of fluid.   So, as soon as the fluid in the WHOLE tube is clear and air and
dirt free, you just shut the bleeder while rottaaing the hose.  Done.
Repeat at 3 other corners.  Never had a problem, and I bleed my brakes at
least 2x a season and before each day of racing, when applicable.

The PDWA can be reset by removing the plastic switch and "centralizing" the
shuttle with a small pick of sorts (or a nail, or....) if needed.  I know
that one will come up again (and again)

Dave T
Winnipeg