Spit painting (was: new mg)

To: Curtis Eads <curtiseads@geocities.com>
Subject: Spit painting (was: new mg)
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:23:17 -0700
Curtis
  I'll second the "avoid the national chain" vote...  To make a long
story short, (well 'kinda' short) a local restorer was re-doing a '70
Spit on a low budget for a client.  He talked to a rep from COLOR GLOW -
the word from him was "we can do as good a job as any shop in town..."
He removed all the rubber & chrome, so it was just a body shell.
Needless to say the car came back looking like crap.  He paid for a
premium job, including thorough sanding, a little body work, and cut &
buffing.  There were runs in the finish, and everything was orange peel
below mid-door level.  (I did see the car, and I can verify this)  It
was also "cut & buffed" on the bonnet right down *through* the primer to
bare metal in two spots.  He put a stop payment on the check, and that
was 4 weeks ago.  He hasn't heard anything from COLOR GLOW about it.
Now, he's got to get it fixed up, and he doesn't want the chain to do
it, for fear of not ever getting the car back in one piece.

Good luck,
Peter Ficklin
'64 & '69 Spits
Fresno, CA

Curtis Eads wrote:

<SNIP>
> Oh yeah - I'm considering having the Spit painted.  Are there any good
> national chains, or can somebody reccomend a place in the Denver area?
<SNIP>