RE: Wooden dash refinishing

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Wooden dash refinishing
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:35:29 -0700
It's called "craftsmanship".  There are several hand tools that can be used
along with some power tools when making the square holes, or indentations in
the back of the dash.  It may just take some time.

I believe the main reason the factory used veneer and plywood (like many
other applications) was that it is a lot cheaper than a piece of teak or
burl, or whatever.  Teak and burl are very dense woods that warp far less
than plywood, if at all.  In fact teak doesn't float, that's why it was used
on submarine decks as opposed to other woods.  Plywood and veneers have a
problem with warpage and delamination when exposed to moisture and heat.  My
dash is doing that now and that's why I'm replacing it with the "real
thing".  After all there isn't a lot of craftsmanship in the Spitfire to
begin with, so I thought I would add some.  Yeah, I know, the value of a
dash handcrafted in this manner will be a sizeable percentage of the car's
total value, but after putting a lot of time and effort into making it
drivable again, I just couldn't put in one of those overpriced $250 veneer
dashboards available from the "usual" sources.:)

Reid
'79 Spitfire