Re: Fuel tank float repair

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel tank float repair
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 12:59:59 -0400
Barry,

I too tried to repair my float. After drilling a small hole, I used a
soldering iron to MELT the hole closed. After carefully positioning it with
the former hole on the top, I reinstalled the sender.

Six months later I found that the float was filling with fuel again, so I
replaced the float only.  They ARE available, I got mine for about $7 plus
shipping from r.d. enterprises, in Quakertown, PA.    http://www.rdent.com

As a further note, at a Club garage day 3 weeks ago we needed a float for
someone's Spit, and the garage had them in stock!   So maybe you can find
one locally.

PS, none of my books shows a damper o-ring.  When mine clangs it is because
I have bent the rod maneuvering the sender back into the tank...

Cheers,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire