Head removal

To: "Bob & Linda Norway" <examiner@scci.net>
Subject: Head removal
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:52:39 -0000
Bob and listers about to remove stubborn heads,

My recommendation for what its worth is this. Try to avoid using
vise-grips - especially if the stud shows signs of being stubborn and
not wanting to come out. Doublenutting is a better idea, but
multi-nutting with 4 or more nuts is even better. Particularly so if
the stud appears to be locked in place with gunge and corrosion. With
double nutting, you tend to put a massive strain on the stud threads
within the nut immediately above. Multi-nutting spreads that load
more evenly up the whole threaded part. Just a sound tip passed on to
me by an old man. Using this technique over the years, I've never
stripped a thread by multi nutting though I have with double. The
added advantage is you have another nut in place where you can put
another open ended spanner and apply double the amount of torque.

John Mac

>Dave,
>Thanks for the info.... but how did you go about removing the studs?
Use a
>vise-grip or doublenut the end?

Bob

GatesDavid@aol.com wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Been there, done that.  When I removed my head, I found that it
really did not
> want to come off.  I ended up removing all the head studs.  Then,
using a 2x4
> a couple feet long and a large hammer placed the 2x4 against the
head and hit
> the other end with the hammer.  A couple good hits and it loosened
up enough
> to remove it with my hands.  With the head studs out I didn't have
to worry
> about damaging them and it allowed the head a bit of sideways
motion instead
> of just upward.
>
> Hope this helps,
> David Gates
John Macartney

EDITOR
SIXappeal - House Magazine of The Triumph 2000 2500 2.5 Register
"The Triumph preferred by Royalty"

Tel: 01608 664939 (24 hour Answerphone)
Email: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Internet: http://www.kvaleberg.com/t2000.html