Re: rubber side marker lamp gaskets thingys

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Subject: Re: rubber side marker lamp gaskets thingys
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 14:02:30 -0500

In message <3.0.5.16.19981209142826.4827fcf0@jak10.med.navy.mil>you write:
>OK,  I have decided to get serious and find out what it would take to have
>the side marker lamp gaskets made.  I am going to check out some items on
>Monday, but I need some questions answered first: 1)my marker lamps gaskets
>are marked front/right, back/right (or something like that) Is there an
>appreciable difference between each gasket? or can they be interchanged.
>2) Are there subtle differences to look for in each gasket 3) Are there any
>special requirements (non-obvious) for them.  4)  Does anyone have the
>ability to provide a CAD drawing for these items?  (don't need to do it
>yet, might not be needed)  5) Are there enough people interested to make
>this worth pursuing (I'm not taking orders, just trying to get an idea of
>how large a production run and costs)
>
>Let me hear what you have to say, no need to pollute the bandwidth, just
>reply to me please.

  Hi Patrick, I was also looking at my front and rear side markers.
  According to the Victoria catalogue, the front and rear rubber thingy
  are the same, but the right and left ones are different.

  I've talk with the machinist at the University here and he suggested making
  a mould with the original rubber gaskets with a block of PVC in two
  halves.  Once the mould in made one can then use heated exterior silicone
  or urathane caulking to fill the mould.  But make sure to spray the inside
  of the mould with PAM or similar product so the caulking wil not stick to
  the mould.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H915       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html