Re: Blown head gasket, or worse?

To: David Ware <dware@uk.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Blown head gasket, or worse?
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:41:19 -0500
David Ware wrote:

> I've noticed this twice now, a creamy substance in the rocker
> cover, mainly around the oil cap.
> Is this an indication of a blown head gasket?
>
> I've checked for other signs, I've run a compression test and
> they all seem fine, each within 10 percent. No loss of coolant
> (as far as I can tell) and there isn't any air being
> blown into the coolant expansion tank.
>
> Am I on the right track with the head gasket?
>
> David Ware
>
> 77 Spitfire 1500 (UK)

You may be. However, how far do you drive the car when you
notice this substance? If the car is not allowed to fully
warm up on a regular basis, this will also occur. When I
used to live quite close to where I worked, (about 1/2 mile),
the car never warmed up, and would show the same symptons.
"Experts" kept telling me that my head gasket was blown.
When I took the car out and stretched its legs, it cleared
all of the ooze right up.

Cheers,

--
Doug Mitchell