Manual choke misadventures

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Manual choke misadventures
From: "Neil McAllister" <neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:23:22 -800
Hi all,

Well, I tackled the auto to manual choke conversion on the weekend with less
than glorious results.  The conversion went smoothly; I did have to tap one
of the the bolt holes in the carb body which the manual unit needed (but the
old water choke did not.) The new choke cable used the hole in the dash for
my defunct and by-passed panel dimmer. With everything in place I started her
up . . . barely; she wouldn't idle at all, ran rough as anything and leaked
a moderate (not big) amount of gas out of the shaft on the manual choke unit
(which was used and must have wear in it.) As far as I could tell, this unit
wasn't doing any "choking" at all; perhaps it's not compatible with my carb?

Well, after shutting the poor girl off and having a beer, I began to examine
the automatic water choke; it appears to be in good condition, just missing
a few key parts and screws(which I just ordered from Vicky Brit).  In short,
I'm going to give the water choke another try.  When I bought the car the water
hoses had been by-passed from the choke for some reason.

Sorry for the long post; any and all thoughts regarding the use of water chokes
would be greatly appreciated; is it worth resurrecting or more trouble than
its worth?.  I do have the Haynes Spitfire manual and one on carbs which are
helpful.

Thanks,

Neil
1980 Spitfire 1500 (Emma Peel)