Midget Differential?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Midget Differential?
From: "Dianne & Ree G." <reegurley@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:08:02 -0600
Just looked (very briefly) at a rough 76 Midget, GAN6CU176532,  which
appeared out of nowhere around the corner from me - for sale & asking $525
(could MAYBE be had for $200-300).  It's tagged and "running, but needs some
work."  IMHO it's only good for a parts-car (rust in the A-pillars, floors,
and elsewhere), but it does have the (Triumph) 1493 engine and single-rail
tranny and maybe a few other goodies.  I know that the Midget and Spit
engine & trans are the same but don't know about the rear-end - because of
course the two cars have very different rear suspension/driveline set-ups.
My Question:  Is the differential on the later Midgets the same
(interchangeable with) as that on the 1500 Spits?

Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit FM73070U O