Windshield Washer Switches in Early Spitfires

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Windshield Washer Switches in Early Spitfires
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 21:56:34 +0100
My name is Bob Waid. I've owned a 71 Spit Mk IV since Aug, 1996, but I'm new to
the list.
I have never understood the windshield washer arrangement (non-functioning) in
my car. You can push the wiper knob in and out and get an air puffing sound but
no liquid ever comes out of the jets or moves through the hoses. I was working
out of a factory manual that I got with the car, but it gives no details about
the sytem. I just bought the Haynes Manual recently. This reads as if there is a
small electric motor inside the wiper knob body that drives the pump. Needless
to say, if there is such a motor in there, it's not working. Has anybody
repaired or reconditioned this motor (if it exists), or if it is a manual air
pump, what are the common causes of failure and possible fixes?

Sincerely baffled,
Bob Waid
St. Paul, MN
71 Spitfire FK4081L