Re: Service Bulletins

To: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Service Bulletins
From: Conn <conn@wctc.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 19:10:59 -0500

R.D. Waid wrote:

> Joe,
> I don't think anyone has suggested scanning the text and using an OCR software
> package (optical character reader) to convert them to a  word
> processor-comaptible format or even ASCII text. Scanning to produce graphic
> images of each page would take a staggering amount of memory and disk space. I
> have used OCR (Textbridge from Xerox) software at work to convert scanned
> (graphical) text to editable ASCII or MSWord documents with pretty good
> results-the material still needs to be proofread to catch errors from scanning
> glitches, but at least the file size would be manageable. Pictures, etc. would
> have to be scanned and attached as .gifs or .jpegs to take up minimum space.

The latest version of Textbridge (and Omnipage too, I think) will not only scan
the words, but the photos, and reassemble the whole mess into a MSWord file that
is a very close replica of the original doccument, right down to columns, font
sizes and styles.

This saves a ton of steps, and creates a very faithfull reproduction in one easy
step.

-- Conn  (conn@wctc.net)

History shows again and again,
how nature points out the folly of man.