Valances - Phase 1 completed

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Valances - Phase 1 completed
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:47:22 PDT
Well kids, today at work I made the radiator valances.  It took me
around 20 minutes (ok around 35 with the "baking" time) here's how:
(even though I doubt any of you can duplicate it exactly, unless you
have access to a machine shop).

First I roughly dimensioned the valance I took with me to work today.
Then I took a piece of .090" Al out of stock and cut it to the rough
size (around 11 X 14") with the big sheet metal.  Then I notched out a 2
X 1.4" corner for the bottom with a right angle (manual) cutter.  Next I
scribed the slant and cut it on the big electric cutter.  After that I
rounded a nice radius on the sharp end on the vertical belt sander.
Then on a mill I made the bottom retainer hole and the three smaller
holes.  I then sanded all the sharp edges down with an orbital.  Next
after setting up the proper die and punch I used our press brake to make
the bend at the lower end.  Then over to the Pem machine to press in Pem
nuts for the three retainer holes (originally mine were rivoted in, I'm
changing this to pem nuts and a bolt/washer combination.  At this point
I was done fabricating.  I cleaned it up and black powder coated it.

Its just that easy! :) Tomorrow or maybe later this week I'll make the
engine valances in a similar manner.

Ryan