Re: Clutch problems

To: Nathan Coraor <ncoraor@csrlink.net>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch problems
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 07:09:41 -0400
At 10:12 PM 9/20/98 -0400, Nathan Coraor wrote:
>  ... when I take off from a dead stop, if the gas
>is pushed down too far, the clutch slips.  It's not like a normal slip that
>I'm used to on my brother's VW where it overrevs but you still get some
>power through to the wheels... when it happens on the Spit, you get almost
>no power until you let off the gas and it catches (lurch forward, etc.).
>This clutch is only about 3 months old and it's been doing this since we
>put it in.  Is there some easy adjustment that can be done or is the clutch
>just bad?
Hi Nate,

Was the transmission fluid replaced when the clutch was serviced?   If so,
the fix may be simple. (I am assuming you have verified that the trans was
full.)

Today's tranny fluids are much more slippery than in the 'days of yore'.
As a result, the O/D may be slipping when starting from a standstill. It
feels just like a slipping clutch.

A remedy that has worked for other Listers is to replace the 90W hypoid oil
in the trans with a _straight weight_ 40W or 50W engine oil.   (It is the
same viscosity, actually.) This allows the clutch in the O/D to 'do its
thing'. Drain the 90W and 'flush' the trans by running ATF (automatic
transmission fluid) for a weekend first, then install the 50W.

Some may point out that engine oil does not have the anti-shear additives
that go into hypoid oils.  But no problems have been reported here so far.
(Many modern manual transmissions specify engine oil or ATF anyway.)

Give it a try.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA