RE: value for a '79 Spitfire??

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: value for a '79 Spitfire??
From: Paul Moon <pmoon@misgate.mcgh.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 98 10:33:06 -0400
I bought my Spitfire in February this year. It's also a white 1979
car with the ugly black bumpers. No hard top, no overdrive. It has a
generally clean rust free body.  It has a couple of minor dents in
the fenders, nothing major.  The only rust on the car is a small
patch at the edge of the boot lid. The interior wasn't great. I
replaced the door seals, door panels and have a new carpet to fit
when time allows. The engine runs great. The car had 68,000 miles on
it when I bought it.

The guy was asking $2800, I offered him $2000, and we finally
agreed on $2300. At the time I didn't know whether this was a good
price or not, but it was what I was willing to pay, and I have had
great fun with the car since. To back up Bruce Lowry's comments, it
was worth it to me. As with all these cars there is a limited
market, which makes it diffucult to judge value, but which also
means that sellers may be more flexible over the price.

Paul :-)

P.S. I'm currently working on a web site - not much there yet, but
I do have a couple of pictures of my Spitfire there, check out
Paul's pages at www.scouse.com.

Begin forwarded message:

Listers,

I just stumbled across a '79 Spitfire for sale, and wondered if:

a)  the price was in line
b)  anybody wants a solid rustfree Dallas car.

the details:  it appears to be a Spitfire 1500 built in April of
1979 (ugly
rubber bumpers!), white with matching factory hard top.  The seats
have some
awful fuzzy seat covers and the carpet is shot.  The body is very
straigth
and solid (even the paint in the trunk looks new!), the paint is
generally
ok, hard to tell with the dust on the car.  A Stewart-Warner oil pressure
guage was added in the dash on the left side....

No, no overdrive switch obvious.  Standard steel wheels with new no-name
tires.  Claims to have had a recent brake hydraulics overhaul.  The car
starts right up and idles about 1000 rpm.

The asking price on the car is $3200.

Out of line?

Jim