Re: Spitefire/GT-6 Dash

To: Robb Tones <Robb_Tones@bc.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Spitefire/GT-6 Dash
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:07:14 +0000
There is a chemical method of removing it, nitro-glycerine, although
there won't be much left.  I have tried everything on it including car
paint stripper, household paint stripper.  Sanding..

The best method is a scalpel blade, you have to chip a bit off, and lift
it up from there, slowly taking your time.  As long as the blade is
sharp, it doesn't notice if you go into the wood slightly.  I then used
exterior polyurethane ship varnish, and I put to much on at once, I took
couple of months to dry to a point where it could be sanded down to a
smooth finish.

You need very thin coats, let them dry for a day, wet 'n' dry up and
repeat until you have a good thickness.

The result are well worth the effort you put in.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot