Re: SPITFIRE Engine side plates

To: Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: SPITFIRE Engine side plates
From: "Thomas A. Strange" <jantoms@vbe.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:13:31 -0700
Ryan Smith wrote:

> I need some valences too.  I have the old ones in my trunk ... err boot
> but they're shot.  In the machine shop where I'm working now we make a
> lot of prototype sheet metal pieces for telecommunications equipment
> (Nortel).  I wouldn't dare to dream that anybody has ever entered these
> patternes into a cad program preferably Pro Engineer?  Reason I ask, if
> I have percise (CAD) drawings I can input them into our automatic
> punching machine and mill those bad boys in like 30 seconds flat.  I'd
> have to bend them in the press but that doesn't take long either.
> Powder coat them black and I'd be set.  I wonder what guage aluminum to
> use. 0.090"?
>
> Just thinking aloud on the list.
>
> Ryan Smith
> Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
> Emerald Green, 72 Spitfire

Ryan,
  Considering the originals were cardboard, I would think 090 would be a
bit of overkill.  I would think you may need a "stiffener" to avoid
vibration & stress cracks in any case, but 063 would probably be a lot
easier to work with.
  Just my .02 worth.

Tom Strange, Classic Autosports Ltd., Appleton, Wi.,  920-733-5013