Re: Parts ID and interchangeability

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: Re: Parts ID and interchangeability
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 06:29:30 -0700
Jim-

When doing a rebuild on my 1500, the supplier mistakenly sold me 1300
pistons.  They were too tall.  Rather than shorten the con rods, the
designers of the 1500 shortened the pistons.  Cheaper, my guess.

I had to take my pistons back.

The drive shaft question is tricky.  There are more variable than you
might think.  Trans length, tail housing length (od/non od), flange
combinations, large/small, mounting points for diff and engine.

When I  converted my 65 (with orig diff) to 1500 engine and non OD
single rail, I found a shaft that worked which I think came from a 1980
OD. (Not sure).  When I converted same bastard car to od single rail, I
had to have the shaft shortened 3/4".

Part of the problem with that set up is I am not sure where I started in
terms of original parts application.

BTW, the shortening and balancing was only $80.   Well worth the dough
just for the benefit of the balance.  HUGE difference.
--
Brian W. Neuschwander